Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Philip Rivers...you're no gentleman.


A couple weeks back an astute reader had asked us to blog about the riff between good guy Jay Cutler and punk Philip Rivers. At the time I was kinda on the sideline of who to support in this fight. On the one hand Jay Cutler and I are basically best friends. I was at the Vandy game this year when he was an honorary captain and then a couple weeks ago I saw him at The Tin Roof. So you can understand why I would say we are best friends. On the other hand I really didn't know anything about Rivers, so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.


That changed on Sunday. I am pretty confident in saying that Philip Rivers is a punk and still acts like he is in high school and got dumped by the head cheerleader who just started going out with Jay Cutler. During Sunday's game with the Colts, Rivers was hurt and had to go back to the locker room in the third quarter to have his leg checked out. While walking to the tunnel, Colts' fans started to taunt Rivers (keep in the mind these fans are out of shape middle aged men whose lives revolve around Colts football). Rivers being the smaller man decides to taunt them back. Not a huge deal, since all he was doing was clapping back at them and thanking them sarcastically. The next incident took his actions over the top.


After leaving in the third quarter he was taken out of the game so his back up quarterback could win it for the Chargers. Since Rivers was sitting on the sideline he got an ear full from the Colts fans since their team was about to loose and they would have to wait 8 months for them to pick the pigskin up again. Instead of Rivers being a gentleman and ignoring them, he decides to join in, walking over to the fans and starting a verbal fight. I am sure it started out with something along the lines of "Hey Rivers, you stink" and Rivers just couldn't handle it. I know that this type of behavior is not atypical...however I wish that athletes could keep their egos in check and ignore the fans. This is what started that huge brawl in the NBA between the fans and the players a couple years back. Philip Rivers is young and cocky...someone on his team needs to put him in place because one of these days he is going to really embarrass them. All I can say is go Pats (and I hate the Pats).


Philip Rivers...you're no gentleman.