Friday, January 18, 2008

Let them eat...rice?

Have you ever thought to yourself, “Man, I wish I could use my vast vocabulary to help feed the hungry people of the world 20 grains of rice at a time”? Well now you can. Freerice.com has teamed with the UN (I am not a big fan of this group…but they seem to try hard…and usually fail, but that is beside the point) to give out free rice to hungry people if you are able to define simple words.


For every word you get right, they put 20 grains of rice in a bowl. Every 100 grains of rice, you get a fresh bowl. I guess they are saying that a bowl of rice is equal to 100 grains. My high yesterday while waiting for my flight was 6 bowls…or 600 grains of rice. An example of one of the words that you will need to define so that hungry people can eat is:


Underfoot means:


-In the way
-For sure
-Completely
-Badly



Obviously the answer is “in the way” and I just gave someone 20 grains of rice. I am awesome (and obviously modest).


While world hunger is a very worthy cause…I wonder why they make someone half a world away from these hungry nations guess definitions of words to give out free rice. Why wouldn’t they just give the rice away without the gimmick? I guess it is to raise awareness. Do you think someone is sitting there at the distribution point for this rice counting out to the exact grain? A little kid is sitting there with his bowl and the “Man” says, “Well, sorry son, someone in America didn’t know the definition to convoke (to call together) so you only get 40 grains of rice”. I am pretty sure that doesn’t happen, but just a thought. It is a fun little time waster and seeing your bowls of rice stack up is pretty, pretty, pretty cool.




Just a little by the numbers action for you:

  • 173,452,460 grains of rice were donated yesterday

  • Since October 7, 2007 14,823,141,450 grains of rice have been donated



---------------------------------------------

Thanks to a D&F regular for sending that in.