Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Gift For the Person Who Has Everything

There are 5 and a half more days of shopping until Christmas (6 and a half for all you Canadian losers that celebrate Boxing Day). I'm sure some of the D&F readership still has some last minute shopping to do, and you're having trouble thinking of a good gift for that one person. Maybe they have everything; maybe they're just really picky about things, and you don't want to get the awkward, "Ohh, that's....nice," on X-mas morning. Well, have I got the solution for you.

Gift cards. No, not the ubiquitous restaurant / electronic store / fast food gift cards that you can buy anywhere and everywhere. I'm talking about health care gift cards. That's right - health care has become a commodity to be given to your friends and family on holidays, birthdays, and any other special occasion. According to the article, which can be read here, the cards can be used for anything from deductible to major surgery payments.

I'm shooting from the hip here, but I think health care gift cards are about the same as giving someone a diet book and a gift card to Jenny Craig for Christmas. You're basically saying - "Look, I know how unhealthy you are, so instead of giving you something cool for [insert occasion here], I'm giving you a trip to the doctor. Hope the card covers whatever procedure you will be having in the near future!"

On the other hand, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who could use some help with their medical bills. So I guess if you want to give someone good health, then this is the present for them.

Either way, have a great Christmas.

P.S. - No, I am not taking the rest of the holidays off. I will continue posting - just wanted to get a happy holidays wish in there.