Wednesday, June 4, 2008

It's what I think...

The Presidential race of 2008 is set. In the left corner wearing the white flag of surrender is Barack Obama. In the right corner wearing something that won’t offend anyone is John McCain (did you see his speech last night in front of a green backdrop? Give me a break; no one takes you seriously as an environmentalist…good try though). If anyone has trouble sleeping in the next 5 months, just turn on the news and listen to these two guys go at it. It will be about as exciting as watching me play soccer when I was 4.

I was burned out with this nomination battle since Mitt Romney decided to give up his bid in March…and since then we have all had to endure watching Hillary’s slow and painful political death, while watching Barack do absolutely nothing to get his party’s nomination. I have never seen someone so undeserving win something so big. It almost reminds me of the time when Oklahoma got a spot in the National Championship game in 2004 over Auburn and went on to lose by 40 points to USC. Not that Hillary would have been better than Obama…but she has paid her dues and probably “deserved” it more.

Do I think Obama will get obliterated in the general election? I have no idea. I hope he does. He has not said one concrete thing of what he will do while president except to say that he “hopes” for “change”. Also, he has been endorsed by Jimmy Carter. I am not saying that alone should make people not vote for him, but it should give people pause. Do we really want another Jimmy Carter in the White House? I mean, who doesn’t love 20% inflation, sitting down with terrorist, having our embassies and its staff taken over and blaming America and its closest allies first for everything that goes wrong in this world.

This doesn’t mean however that John McCain is the answer either. I think both men offer very little in terms of making this country better than it is right now. I think both offer tired answers to questions that need new thinking. How are we going to strengthen our dollar so oil prices drop? How are we going to stay on the offensive in a war that the enemy won’t stop till we all drop dead (McCain is on the right track with this answer…but he needs to be a little more concrete about it)? Why is it that the only way politicians think problems can be fixed is by taxing more and spending more? Why is it that the greatest country in the history of the world gets such piss poor candidates for president (they probably won’t answer that one)?

As much as I do not like Barack Obama and think he will be a disaster for us, I cannot bring myself to vote for John McCain either. He has abandoned and betrayed everything that is core to the conservative movement. Therefore, I suggest to those who feel the same way I do, write in Ronald Wilson Reagan’s name. He will do a better job dead than these two guys will alive.