Tuesday, June 24, 2008

D&F Supports PETA*

I'm a big fan of steak. Actually, I'm a steak snob to the point where I pretty much refuse to go to a restaurant to eat steak unless it's a Ruths' Chris or Morton's type establishment. As a result, Katie and I actually go out for steak once or twice a year (when you add my steak snobbery with my enjoyment of wine and scotch, it's very easy to get on the better side of $200 for a really enjoyable dinner).

I'm fairly certain that my body would stop working if I only had steak once every six months, so over the past few years, I've strived to perfect cooking steaks at home. I'm pretty good on the gas grill and have since moved onto charcoal grilling (which gives the steak an awesome smokey flavor).

However, I have not been able to replicate the Morton's / Ruth's Chris broiler style - primarily due to the fact that I do not have a broiler capable of reaching 1500 degrees. That is, until my good brother Sean found a procedure for doing just that. Don't worry - reaching 1500 degrees is not required.

So, here's the recipe and technique.

And here's a video that demonstrates as well as provides some good background information.

Also, if you like you're steak cooked more than the rare side of medium, this technique probably isn't for you. The steaks we had the other night were, without question, the best steaks I had served. The method is quick, easy, and it provides an excellent meal.

*