Monday, April 28, 2008

Handicap Hotel Rooms...basically Hell.

I travel a lot. And by a lot, I mean that in the year that I have had my job, I have earned more than 250,000 Hilton Honor points. Not to brag or anything, but that makes me a Diamond VIP Member of the Hilton Honors program (if you would like to send me cookies or something along those lines to say congratulations, email me and I will provide my address and favorite type of cookie). Also, if you have ever talked to me within the last year, you know how much I hate to travel. I complain all the time. I apologize if I annoy you with my complaining but traveling all the time sucks.


One of my biggest pet peeves while traveling is getting stuck in handicap rooms. I would think that hotels would want to make their most loyal customers happy but Hampton Inn has decided that they would love to piss me off every time I show up and stick me in one of these hell holes. God has blessed me with being able bodied and I admire people that are handicap and get along with their lives. I would like to think that I would be a strong enough person to get on with my life if I ever become handicapped but dealing with handicap rooms would be a struggle.

For some reason, hotels use some kind of cleaning agent that makes handicap bathrooms smell like nursing homes (this is NOT a good thing). Why is it that HC bathrooms can’t smell like normal bathrooms? Do they have to use nursing home grade cleaner? Or is it that hotel chains feel that HC people don’t deserve good smelling bathrooms? Hmmm…maybe Congress could investigate this. Also, most showers are those roll in showers that are huge and have a crappy shower head. They also feature a pull down seat that is cushioned. Who in their right mind would use this germ infested seat? There is no way that I am putting my bare butt on a seat that had some other persons bare butt on it while they were taking a shower (I know what you are thinking…what about the toilet? You have to use the toilet…you don’t have to use the nasty cushion shower seat).

The beds are lower to the ground as well. Some hotel staff member at an Atlanta Hampton Inn told me that HC rooms were better because their beds are not used as often. Who cares? They aren’t used as often because the room reminds people of going to visit their 91 year old crazy great-aunt Bethel at the nursing home 40 miles from their house. The doors have two peep holes, one at normal height and one at crotch level. In order for the lower one to be effective, you either have to memorize what people’s crotch’s look like or they have to bend down to the lower hole. My guess is no one is going to bend down…so good luck with crotch memorization.

I am sorry for such a meaningless rant…but when you travel for a living you become very snobby on where you stay. And the smallest things get to you. If you want to know what I experience anytime that I get screwed out of a normal room…reserve yourself one of those massively large HC rooms…you will never do it again.