Wednesday, April 23, 2008

BURN HER!!!!

One of the greatest movies of all time - Month Python and Holy Grail - is 91 minutes of complete absurdity. It's hilarious, and I'm pretty sure I've watched the movie in whole or part over 100 times. Of particular note is the witch burning scene. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you are no longer allowed to read this blog. Close your browser now.


Anyway, the witch scene is so great because it captures just how stupid people get when mob psychology takes over. Don't believe me? Well, here's a modern day example of mob psychology taking over and people attacking "sorcerers."

Yes, in Kinshasa, Congo, police are having a very difficult time with mobs of people attacking sorcerers for shrinking or removing men's penises. There's any number of crude jokes I could make here, but instead, I'm going to let your imaginations run wild.

My favorite part of the article is the quotes from the police officer who tries to reason with the people who think their penis has been shrunk or removed. You've got to admire the guys determination. If someone came up to me and claimed that his member had been shrunk by magic, I wouldn't even try to rationalize with the guy.

Of course, this really shouldn't surprise anyone who knows anything about Africa. This is the same continent where the majority of people believe having sex with a virgin is the best way to cure AIDS. I'm not making that up.