Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fun Facts About Jacksonville

Since I travel most every week, I thought I would start doing a little research and find out some facts about the city that I call home for that week. Since I have a blog...yall get to share in my education. Here are some fun facts that I learned about Jacksonville:



  • The City of Jacksonville ranks as the 14th largest city in the United States in population with more than 800,000 residents

  • Jacksonville covers 841 square miles

  • Home to the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars

  • Duval County (Jacksonville's county) had 82 murders last year

  • The settlement that became Jacksonville was founded in 1791 as Cowford, because of its location at a narrow point in the river across which cattle were once driven

  • The most famous person I could find that is from Jacksonville...David Duval

  • The water here smells like sulfur

  • The Hilton Garden Inn in Orange Park is pretty nice...I recommend it

  • The average low for December is 44 degrees


Thanks to coj.org and wikipedia.com for helping me out.