Monday, March 3, 2008

You mean someone else thought of it?

In what most people would call a stunning blow to one's belief system, a book published in 1934 outlines Scientology. You may be wondering why this is such a blow to the greatness that is Scientology, well L. Ron Hubbard, the nutcase behind the fad “wrote” his version in 1952. Now, I am not calling L. Ron a plagiarizer but he is a plagiarizer. Also, I am not sure if the 1934 version included spaceships that looked like DC-9's (L. Ron might have come up with those himself) but there are a lot of similarities.

I would assume that this is not going to do anything to the believers of Lord Xenu but it gives us skeptics or SP’s (as Tom would call us) more ammunition for the fight. I don’t know if I am more surprised that a great “writer” like L. Ron would plagiarize something, or that someone else actually thought of this idea.

I would feel like I cheated you if I didn’t somehow show a video making Tom Cruise look like a total tool…so here is a classic from the archives: