Thursday, March 20, 2008

Leg, anus...whats the difference?

After reading the headline to this story, my first question that I asked myself was, “Do they make doctors go to school in Germany?” It turns out that a woman who was going in for leg surgery got mixed up with someone who needed a new anus.

There are two big pieces of news from this story. First, doctors in Germany don’t know the difference between a leg and an anus. And secondly, it turns out you can get a new anus. Who knew? Also, the news story includes the word sphincter…that is a first for me, of all the stories that I have read…I have never seen that word used.

So why would someone need a new anus. The poor sap that needed the surgery had incontinence. According to Wikipedia.com incontinence:

“…is the lack of voluntary control of excretory functions.”

That could put a kink in your social life. You go out on a date and have Mexican food and BAM…I don’t think I need to complete the story.

The woman with the brand spanking new anus, is in good spirits. She is the hit of the nursing home…it is like getting a new Corvette in high school. Actually I am not sure she is in a nursing home…but lets assume she is. She is 71. Also, she still needs the leg surgery and is shopping a few doctors before she makes a decision on whom to go to.

Here is some help for her…leg in German is “bein” and anus (actually butt) is “kolben”.