Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Is "Ping Pong" a Racist Name? (A Dink & Flika Exclusive)

It has been brought to my attention that many schools around the country do not allow the word "Ping Pong" to be used when describing the sport we all love to play for fear that it is a racist term. If I had my way Ping Pong or Table Tennis would be known only as, "The rich man's tennis," however I don't think that name will stick.

I was further shocked to learn that this was not limited to grade schools and high schools but also well respected colleges and universities. These institutions of higher learning banned the intramural leagues from forming Ping Pong leagues and made them form table tennis leagues. I think we are becoming much to politically correct and this needs to stop.

I went to the find folks at Wikipedia to shed some light on the subject, and the whole article can be read here, but the meat and potatoes is below:
_

Table tennis has its origins in England as an after dinner amusement for upper class Victorians in the 1880s... Early bats were often pieces of parchment stretched upon a frame, and the sound generated in play gave the game its first nicknames of "whiff whaff" and "Ping pong..." The name ping pong then came to be used for the game played by the rather expensive Jaques equipment, with other manufacturers calling theirs table tennis.
_
As you can see ping pong is not a racist name and somebody needs to tell these institutions of higher learning to quit being so politically correct. Give me a break. On a side note I think this would make a great piece for those local news stations that love to do undercover reports that aren't that scandalous but they make it sound like it is the next BIG news story.