Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Humans Have Always Been Nature's Jerks

Did you know that there used to be 260-pound kangaroos running around? Granted, I have no idea how much "normal" sized kangaroo weighs (and I don't want to Google it), but the idea of a kangaroo that weighs more than me is somewhat unsettling.

Fortunately, our ancestors felt the same way and took it upon themselves to totally kill every single one of those giant pouch-having 'roos'. Additionally mankind apparently killed off other freaky animals like a wombat the size of a rhinoceros and some sort of Dr. Moreau inspired mix of a leopard and kangaroo. My opinion - most of these freaks were believed to inhabit Tasmania (the island off Africa's east coast), or as I like to call it - God's "oopsy" island.

If you didn't take the time to read the riveting article, the previous theory was that climate change caused the demise of these giant versions of modern creatures. Turns out, man hunted them to extinction. Or at least that's what one scientist is saying.

I don't care what killed the giant kangaroos and wombats. I'm kind of glad they're not around anymore.